Thursday 12 April 2012

Bright and early start but well worth it....

This weekend I volunteered at the Gold Challenge event and had an amazing time! I was given the role of sports presentation runner. In this role I was a runner for the team in the sound and technical box, as well as for the commentator Rob Walker, whose voice you may recognise as he regularly commentates on many sporting events including athletic competitions and the on-course commentator for the London Marathon.


Up bright and early (with my alarm set for 5:30am) I made my way to the Olympic stadium, I was lucky enough to be able to see the whole event and a lot of the behind the scenes work going on. This allowed me to gain further knowledge of the industry and a real insight into how problems can be caused and solved in the face pace environment which is events.

The event had various celebrities present, with the likes of Paul Potts, Spellbound from Britain’s got Talent and also Dionne Bromfield performing.  All of the runners were truly inspirational all raising massive amounts of money for their charities. A final surprise on the day was a marriage proposal from one of the participants in the race, it was a complete surprise to everyone, including his now fiancĂ© (of course she said yes!). There’s even a news article about it; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17577353 . I have to admit a little tear did come to my eye.


I would recommend volunteer work experience to anyone who is interested in events management, not only does it give you the invaluable experience needed but also allows you to make contacts, put your knowledge into practise and most of all have fun, And yes it will be worth the early starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment