Thursday 14 June 2012

I’m sure you’ve heard about the Olympics?


Finally all the revision and the exams are over! I had two exams this year, both of which I went into not feeling particularly confident. The first I came out of realising I had learnt more than I had thought and felt that I gave good answers to the questions. The second I didn't feel as positive about when I finished, but it’s finished now so I will have to wait until the results come out. So I made the most of the long jubilee weekend and had some relaxing time in the sun....or lack of sun should I say!



Moving away from the exams, although this means that my second year is finished, there is an exciting opportunity which I will be taking over the summer. Of course you will have heard about that little thing happening in London this summer, the London 2012 Olympic Games. I have kept quiet about this in my previous blogs but this has been something which I’ve been training and working towards for the past academic year. I am going to be working with a corporate hospitality company throughout the whole period of the Olympic Games. As we are completing our training our roles have yet to be finalised (I’ll keep you posted on that one!). The company have made a strong link with the University of Greenwich and many of our students will be working with the company during the games in a variety of different roles. But, I was extremely lucky as the company have been working closely with the second year Events management students, providing us with training throughout the year on a weekly basis, being interviewed, and then if successful we then move into the local staff training with all the other local staff who will also be working with the company during the games.

                                                               

This will be such an amazing opportunity and I feel extremely lucky that I am going to be involved in, what arguably, is the largest event that takes place in the world.  Being able to work so closely with a company who has years of experience and learning so many new things along the way. This has been an aspiration of mine since I decided which university I wanted to go to. Knowing that the Olympic Games would fall at the end of my second year at university, going to a university in London was a big factor in my decision. So you can imagine my excitement when this opportunity came about.

The training has been intensive and we have been asked to complete various online, in class activities, venue tours and exams in order to prepare us for the Games. As well as all the learning I need to do about London, not being from London this has been a slight challenge but one which I was happy to do in order to have this amazing experience. If you were lucky enough to get a ticket to one of the events, maybe I’ll see you there!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment